Nov 9, 2008

Joy Like A River..Series Four


One of my favorite stress reducers is to just sit and watch a gentle flowing river, or stream, and listen to the sweet and joyful sounds it makes as it gently flows. Even as a child I remember going down by the river , sitting on the banks, placing both my legs in the cool waters as it flowed over my feet and continued on it’s way. I realized that whatever stood in the path of the gentle flowing waters could not stop the flow, even the rocks both big, and small, as well as the jagged ones that tried to redirect it’s flow. Even the branches that were lowered enough to touch the waters, dipping up, and down, refreshing, and delighting itself, in the calming waters, added to the rivers joyful sounds.

If ever there was a way I could describe Joy to you, it would be like a gentle flowing river. The river continues to flow and make such joyful sounds despite the obstacles that may come and try to disturbed or interrupt it’s flow. It seems the more obstacles it passes through, the sweeter the sounds become, who would have thought all that would try to disturbed the rivers tranquility, would end up enhancing it's sounds even more.

This river scene is what real life is like, what Christian life should be like, our lives get filled with disappointments, tragedies, heartaches , afflictions, crisis and struggles, just as Jesus promised in
John 16:33 when he said” Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows; but cheer up, for I have overcome the world.” You see no matter what may come our way, that may try to disturb our tranquility, and peace, redirect our paths, or stop the flowing of his Joy in our lives, the Lord can give us the Joy we need to produce Joyful sounds of praise unto him.

Jesus desired that our joy might be full John 16:24, But when we turn our eyes upon God in the midst of our sufferings, we find the power we need to praise him despite the pain, and give thanks for his goodness, even when things are not good. I need God’s joy, and most of us do, especially in the dark times. We need Joy when we are suffering and misunderstood, when we’re rejected and hated, and when we are in emotional and physical pain. Yet through it all our praises are enhanced and these hindrances become the soil out of which Joy blooms.

Lastly I share with you the most beautiful description of Joy that I have ever heard and will never forget...

A diamond is pretty all by itself, but putting it up against a black background, and lifting it up to the light, enhances it radiance and glory.” What a perfect picture of Joy! true spiritual Joy shines brightest against the darkness of trials, tragedy, and testing, and the blacker the background, the greater the brilliance. Similarly life’s dark struggles make Christian Joy more intense, and heartfelt praise, more glorious.

As one writer noted,( “God setteth in pain the jewel of his Joy.) Tears fill my eyes as I think about our heavenly crown that awaits each of us when we get to heaven. Jewels of Joy will be placed and designed by the hands of the master himself, each will tell a story of our journey leading up to our eternal home in heaven.

Prayer: Dear Lord, may our Joy be like a river that continues to flow despite the obstacles that may try to interrupt and disturb the flowing of your joy in our lives. May each testing we go through enhance the joyful sounds of praise we offer up to you. And may our Joy shine brightest against the darkest of trials that make our heartfelt praise be the sweetest sounds to your ears... Amen





Visit Spiritual Sundays

and read other inspirational posts.


31 comments:

From the Heart said...

All I can say it Amen. What a joyful day that will be when we meet our Master. He has been so good to me, I can hardly wait to thank Him in person.
AliceE.

sailorcross said...

This is the most beautiful description that I've ever read. Your writings are an inspiration, Lorie!!

And as I think of that river--meeting obstacles--yet still flowing freely around them--through them--I know that no matter what obstacle I meet in my life, my joy in Jesus will always flow freely.

Thank you, Lorie!

Beth

Michele Williams said...

So beautiful! You truly inspire me. Thank you for your prayers and encouragement. Bless you.

Musings of A Minister said...

Everytime I see your heading with the words Encouragement From My Heart and the beautiful butterflys a smile comes on my face and I feel your joy. Thank you for a splendid post today. These are good words and I needed them.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Lorie,
That was beautiful! Your descriptions of the river and the diamond are perfect. I too enjoy the rivers and waters. My husband and I spend a great of time at the beach in the summertime. That is one place in all the world I can go and feel completely relaxed. Every trial and difficult situation seems to lose its hold on me when I'm out there, listening to the sounds of the ocean and watching the little sand pipers running up and down the shore. It is so delightful and peaceful. Thank you for sharing from your heart.

Blessings,
Sandi

SmilingSally said...

That's such a peaceful scene; I agree it's a stress reducer. And your definition of joy is "spot on!" Happy Sunday. Come visit. http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/

Kelly said...

Beautiful writing - it is peaceful here at your blog. Peace like a river!

Kelly said...

What a perfect and accurate description.....you are truly gifted my dear friend, love ya lots!! Thank you for praying with all of us.....

Blessings,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

"Jewels of Joy." What a nice image you have given me to meditate on this Sunday evening. Thank you so much. May God bless your week.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard a better description of joy. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. I love the picture too. It is beautiful.
Have a great week.
Charlotte

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Good Evening Lorie,

I can almost hear the river running in my head as I'm reading through your post, what a joy it is! Your words and prayer are so beautiful and precious to me, thank you!

Blessings,
Kathi :)

Cathy said...

That is so beautiful, Lorie. You just have such a way with words. Thanks for that post. I will keep on working on the joyful songs. :o)

God Chaser said...

What joy you bring to my soul-thanks again for sharing, I love the picture and the way you compare the Christian life to the flowing rivers and how obstacles make the sound sweeter-how much sweeter is the sound of our praise to God when we are praising our way through.

Fitts said...

This is so beautiful!!! Thanks for what you do :-)

DeAntwan

Becky said...

Amen. What a beautiful illustration of joy. I love the idea that Christ is fashioning our crowns and each jewel is a trial endured. God bless!

Anonymous said...

My family and I use to hike through the mountain forests when I was young. What I remember the most are the trails that had a bubbling brooks or a flowing stream through them - there was something special, spiritual, and uplifting about them. Your description put words on what I felt in my soul. Thank you so much for sharing such inspiring words.

Rachel

Joy said...

I love the word pictures you paint for us.
I thought of that song "Like a River Glorious is God's Perfect Love."
Thank you Lorie,
Love, Joy

Rev. Brad Hurley said...

I have to be honest with you. When you write things like this you blow me away! You truly have a beautiful heart felt gift with words. ITS no wonder that you write and sing songs to the Lord. God bless you.

Edie said...

Hi Lorie!

I just love this!

[“God setteth in pain the jewel of his Joy." Jewels of Joy will be placed and designed by the hands of the master himself, each will tell a story of our journey leading up to our eternal home in heaven.]

What a beautiful picture. Love ya!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Thanks for visiting (and commenting!) on my BATW day!

I have no doubt that being stationed in Germany is a time we will always look back on fondly!

Kay Martin said...

Beautiful. Yes, we must remember that the River of God flows. As I read this I thought of that scripture that out of our bellies will flow Living waters. May God's love flow into us and through us as you so beautifully worded it.

You write so powerfully that I am There!

Angela Baylis said...

So beautiful... I like how you reminded me that the obstacles make the sound sweeter in the river! Thank you for another encouraging post ... including the beautiful music!
Love you!
Angie xoxo

Shonda said...

I like the river meeting the obstacles but keeps on flowing scene. Great inspiration.

Engrafted by His Grace-
Shonda

Sharon said...

Wow, so beautiful, no wonder you have the name joyfulsister, and you are always encouraging my heart! You are so blessed to be a blessing to me and others. You described it so beautifully
Thank you for sharing this with us.
Blessings
Love ya
Sharon

About Nancy said...

You truly have the gift of encouragement. It was nice visiting your site for the first time. See you again soon!

Addicted to Beadz said...

Joyfulsister,

This is beautiful! So well put. I wanted to let you know, I'm having a blog give away that ends first thing in the morning. It is in honor my sister and her 1 year celebration from the time of her diagnosis tomorrow. If you have time, please come and join. You have been joined us in this journey. It has meant a lot also that you have taken the time to leave Janet a comment, along with the comments you have left for me.

Blessings!
Cheryl

Debra said...

Very lovely post, and music. I pray I can always focus on Him.
Love, Debra

Sharon Brumfield said...

Yes, I needed this.
As I felt my spirit dipping today I opened my mouth to thank my God for who He is and what He is doing and has done.
I refuse to bow my knee to the darkness and be hidden and overwhelmed by it.
Thanks girl needed this.

Christina said...

That was a beautiful post. I was picturing the diamond on a background of black and it was shining brilliantly. Thank you for pointing this out.

Edie said...

Hi Lorie! I have something for you. Please stop by my blog when you get a chance. :D

Unknown said...

What blessing this lovely post is. I love the quiet music and the picture your words paint so clearly