Nov 21, 2009

Tears Of Healing

Reading Hebrews 13:1-2, made me reflect back to a man the Lord sent our way, a man we will never forget,and will forever hold in our hearts.

When I opened my eyes there he was kneeling before us, he began weeping in a way I had never heard anyone weep before. He was dirty from his head to his feet and he had no shoes on, but what really stood out about this man was the color of his eyes. He had the most beautiful blue eyes I had ever seen, and looking at them filled with tears was like starring into a crystal blue sea….Let me start from the beginning.

It was a Friday afternoon, my husband and I decided to go to church early and set up our music equipment, and rehearse the songs we were going to do for praise and worship for a youth service that evening. I remember praying with my husband over the songs we were planning to do that night, it was something we always did before ministering in music. We began singing and went through a couple of praise songs, there were times when people walking past the church would stop by to listen .

We began to slow the music down and songs of worship filled the air, we closed our eyes as we sang, the presence of the Lord could be felt around us. It was just Larry, myself, and the Lord, so I thought, I could sense another presence near by and slowly opened my eyes. I guess my husband felt it as well, and we both looked toward the entrance to the church and there was a man standing there. I looked at Larry and we just continued to sing, we closed our eyes and continued to worship. We began to hear sobs in front of us, Larry and I stopped and the stranger at the door had moved to where we were and fell to his knees and began to weep.I know when he fell upon his knees and wept, Jesus was right there holding him ever so closely.

This was his story...
He served in the military during the Vietnam war, as a young soldier coming home from Vietnam he recalled his fellow soldiers and himself being ridiculed for killing women and children. The welcome home was not what he or the others had expected, besides he was already experiencing post traumatic stress from all that he had to endure and had experienced during the war.. The impact of all that he went through left him with a serious mental depression, leaving him homeless, losing everything he had, or had ever loved, including life itself. As he was walking past the church, he said he could hear the most soothing music unlike he had ever heard before drawing him in, and he had to see where it was coming from.

He told us how it just touched his heart and soul in way where he began to weep. He touched his tears that fell from his eyes and cried even more, why? because he said for many years he was not able to shed a tear, he had lived with the guilt of having to see his buddies, as well innocent women and children die, and not being able to help them. He was so numb inside all those years, and now he was able to feel emotions again, We prayed with this man and gave him clothes, socks, and a pair of shoes from our helping hands closet, and he went on his way.

That evening the room was filled with people singing and worshipping the Lord, Larry and I sang with hearts rejoicing over that lost soul who the Lord had sent our way. We had witnessed the healing of a man who had been so broken and depressed. As we were getting ready for the message to come forth I saw a man come through the entrance, my husband and I looked at each other and we both smiled, how could I ever forget those eyes, he had gotten a haircut, shaved his beard off, and was clean from head to toe, and had shoes on his feet.


After the service ended we looked around for our new friend, he was no where to be found. We suddenly realized we never got his name, I will never forget the stranger with the crystal blue eyes, who followed the leading of the Lord as the music ministered to his broken soul. A man who wept tears of healing, whose spirit was set free from the pain of his past, so he could begin to live again.


In Hebrews 13: 1-2 The Lord reminds us to: Continue to love each other with true Christian love. Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it.


Thank you Lord, for using two broken, and willing vessels, to reach out and touch another broken soul. All Glory and Honor belongs to you now and forever.. Amen.

Music Ministry Devotions
Copyright © 2007-2009 Written By: Lorie A. Yocum: All Rights reserved.


30 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Oh wow!

Debbie said...

WOW What an awesome story. I just love hearing things like this. It just humbles me so much to see how God works sometimes in just the most everyday things such as you and your husband just practicing and getting ready for service. It had already popped into my head about strangers maybe being angels unaware...you encouraged him for sure, but look how much it ministered and encouraged you and your husband as well. Thanks for sharing this story, it has really blessed me this morning. Have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving, Debbie

Mary said...

How God can turn the tear of despair into tears of joy! I am so thankful for the gift of music that the Lord has given to mend our broken hearts and heal our relationships...I have a friend who attends a church that does not allow musical instruments...how very sad...we are given so much in the Body of Christ to meet the needs of each other and to witness to the lost. May we always have a "helping hands closet" in our heart, in our cars, in our homes, and in our churches, to reach those that need the Lord and that need a friend to bring them the wonderful news of a Savior that can change their life.

Wonderful post...just beautiful...blessings to you and your hubby!

Mary

Musings of A Minister said...

Wonderful,moving story. Thank you for sharing this.

Peggy said...

Ohhh AWESOME Lori...God's sweetest blessings! Such a beautiful time recorded in your heart & now here for others to be ministered & freed! What a captivating experience of how MUSIC reaches & touches the dephs of one's soul & moreso draws people to COME, come & adore Him, fall on our knees, and be healed, be restored, give praise & thanks! Your ministry is so blessed! Great reminder from Hebrews!

Worship ushers us into His Presence! His Glorious Presence beckons us to fall on our knees & WORSHIP Him! Thank you Lori for showing God at work & how you & your husband minister whenever through music & worship! Blessed be the Name of Jesus...the Healer & Restorer!

Charlotte said...

Wow, what a heart-wrenching story. Spiritual Sundays today would have been worth it if yours had been the only link. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful testimony with us.
Blessings,
Charlotte

LisaShaw said...

As I read I thought, "Only GOD". Only our GOD can turn anything around. Beautiful sharing.

Love you.

Ginny said...

That is the most beautiful heart wrenching story I have heard in quite some time. What a wondrous God moment!!

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Such a moving story of being in the right place at the right time. Bless you.

Rose said...

What a beautiful story! All I could think was "angels unaware". Amazing, thanks for sharing it.

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

This story is amazing. It touched my heart. I could just hear you singing.
God bless you sister,
Ginger

RCUBEs said...

When I saw sister Lisa Shaw's comment, that was what I was thinking the whole time...And there are still many out there, lost and broken. How will they know if we don't share the very same gift that changed us from the inside out, once when we, too were broken and lost. Thank You Lord for Your love and mercy! This is just sooo beautiful sister...I could see those tears and heard the sobs...of a changed man forever. Blessings to you and Happy Thanksgiving.

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

What a beautiful story, Sistah! It's amazing to see the hand of God working through His children to touch the lives of the hurting & lost. Thank you for being such a willing vessel.
I also wanted to let you know that my Shawn is still doing well. Not living with us any longer.....that door is closed for now. He needs to take responsibility for his life & not rely on us. So far so good! Praise the Lord!!! I also want to thank you & Larry for your prayers. I know the Lord has special plans for his life & isn't finished with him yet.
Love you,
Sharron

~Pam~ said...

That is an awesome story! Praise God! That means so much to me..my husband is a Vietnam Veteran.

God bless you Debbie, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

~Pam~ said...

Sorry Lorie, I called you Debbie in the last post!! ~hugs~

Cathy said...

That is so beautiful, Lorie. What a precious ministry you and your husband have! Love you sweet sister ~ Happy Thanksgiving!

Denise said...

Such an amazing story.

Rilda said...

Hallelujah He is a healing God that knows what and when we need what we need for then we RECEIVE.
Continued blessings to you Lorie and you know what pleases God so His faith and yours be one. In Jesus's Holy Name! Love You, rilda *U*

Deborah Ann said...

Does life get more beautiful than this? What a beautiful, moving testimony. My heart breaks for these vets who were not welcomed with open arms when they came back home. They were made to feel like criminals! May God have mercy on us...

Shirley said...

What a beautiful story of our Lords redeeming love and mercy! How many of us are or have been like this man with broken lives and hearts just crying out for hope? And there is Jesus Christ with His hand out renewing our strength to go on. My heart was so moved, thank God you and your husband was at the right place and the right time to help this man. Of course, Jesus is always on time, isn't He! Blessings to you!

Leaon Mary said...

I hope I never forget him either!
God bless Him, and you as well Lorie!

Hugz~Dixie said...

What a very special experience. Thank you Lorie so much for sharing it with us.

crochet lady said...

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story. Where the Spirit of the Lord is there is peace.

Happy Thanksgiving!

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Good morning Lori,

Just wanted to stop by each and every blog buddy and send prayers for a Healthy & Happy Thanksgiving!

Enjoy the day the Lord has made!
Be blessed and continue to spread His word.

Love and miss ya!
China

From the Heart said...

What a beautiful story. The verse that came to my mind is Luke 25:40 "...Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me." Your ministry in song not only touched this man but also touched the heart of God.
What a blessing to be able to witness to those who are in need.

Have a great Thanksgiving. I love you and pray for you. Hope you are feeling better.
AliceE.

Pia said...

happy thanksgiving!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Such a moving story, Lorie! I'm so glad that you and your hubby were led to minister to this stranger. Hopefully he has found his way to the Saviour and has begun to live again. Thank you for sharing, and I wish you and yours a lovely Thanksgiving.

Blessings and hugs,
Sandi

Fannie said...

Beautiful. I understand. I can relate having experienced many similar experiences through sharing my music. Thanks for sharing and for all you do to heal hearts. You inspire me to want to do more, share more, love more. Aloha, Sis. Music is a powerful tool of love and healing.

Nancie said...

Thank God for using you and Larry to minister to this man's need. It is very encouraging and touching to read of how the Lord did a gracious work in this needy soul. Truly God's love and mercies is abundant. May God continue to bless you and Larry, and make both of you blessings to others. Happy Thanksgiving, Lorie. Take care and God bless you!

Love,
Nancie

Toia said...

Beautiful story..Thanks for sharing. Hope you had a thankful Thanksgiving!! Blessings to you!!