Mar 7, 2009

Deliverance


I wanted to use the word freedom, but the word deliverance kept finding its place in my soul. I guess it’s because Luke 18 described the reason I felt lead by the Holy Spirit to share my story. My hope was to help heal the broken-hearted, to preach deliverance to the captives. It described me, someone whose spirit and heart had been broken, and held captive.

Today I am able to give back to others and share my story with the help of Holy Spirit, who has carried me through those difficult times. Deliverance knowing the Holy Spirit now has a hold of the situation, although there are times when I struggle and fall short, but I am no longer a slave held captive to a controlling spirit,
Sure it still creeps back into my soul at times, but it doesn't dwell there for long .. Today the spirit of the Lord continues to guard my soul with the power of his word

It was overwhelming, and frustrated, feeling the need to be in control at all times. I felt like a big tube of super glue, right there ready to fix anything broken or falling apart. It was best that everything looked as perfect as possible, anything out of order just would not do.I would soon realize the lessons, strength, and wisdom, that would come from imperfections, and brokenness. At times I felt my life was like a puzzle, I did not want to share the pieces with anyone, I had to have my hand on each piece and complete the outcome.

I look back now and ask myself, girl what were you thinking! However, that was the problem I was not thinking I was just doing what I thought was best for everyone, including myself. I don’t think I meant to be that way on purpose, I do know fear, worry, and other issues played a big role in it all, and until I came to terms with it I would forever be a slave to it.


Trying to be always in control takes so much out of a person, it is like running a show and you are the only actor playing all the different parts. In addition, the audience will either love you, or dislike you. Believe me there are no Oscars or Academy Awards, and you can almost predict what the critics will write about you.

I’m sure I did get on some of my family's nerves at times, by not allowing them to help in ways they wanted to around the house, or not trusting them with some of life’s experiences because I felt they were not ready. Reality was they were ready; I was the one not ready to let them go, they really needed to try their wings. Today if this mama bird had to do things over again, she would do many things differently.

I attended a women’s ministry event, the theme was “Freedom,” I would come to a place while on my knees, hands lifted up, tears streaming down my face, I would begin my journey of slowly giving back control to its rightful owner. Time to move over and let Jesus take the wheel, time to rest my body, spirit, soul, and mind of all the abuse and stress caused by a controlling spirit.

As years went by, I would come to discover that my past hurts, unforgiveness, and anger, played a big role in my control issues. I had to realize I had a choice to make, to stay forever a slave to it, or to take the Lord at his word and promises when he said” Greater is he that is in me than he that is the world.”

It was not going to be easy, but possible with the Lord’s help through the next couple of years, slowly my family began to see the changes taking place. I was finally able to slowly let go, and let my children experience what they needed too, the many times I wanted to rescue them and fix their problems the Holy Spirit would give me courage to leave them in his hands.

My husband would see that I was no longer stressing and worrying about finances, and I made peace with more of God’s word when he said, Don't worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. today's trouble is enough for today” (Matthew 6:25-34). And (Psalm 37:25) I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging for bread.

We may not have all we want, but we will always have enough, I was learning to depend upon God’s words and promises. When I surrendered everything to Lord, I was able to find truth in his word, I was able to surrender my hurt, for his healing, my anger for his joy. I would exchange my pain for his promises of peace, rest, and a sound mind.

But little that I know all of this would be tested in a way I would never have imagined. This was where deliverance would soon manifest fully in my life, through total trust in the Holy spirit. Meet with me back here to read the final chapter of my story.

If you want to read the beginning chapters and poems click on the links on the right side panel under "Spirit Of Control."







Please visit Spiritual Sundays
For more inspirational posts

28 comments:

Andrea said...

I always find myself more at peace each time I visit your blog gf - thank you! You are so right when you said "We may not have all we want, but we will always have enough" that is truly the most profound statement I have heard to date. Blessings.

The Raggedy Girl said...

What a thoughtful, beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart felt feelings.

Have a wonderful Sunday
from Roberta Anne

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Lorie,
Bless you as you share with us the trials and outcome of your deliverence. God is so good and He is faithful to bring us through whatever hinders us; in His time and in His way. Praise His Holy Name!

Blessings & hugs,
Sandi

From the Heart said...

Lorie, A beautiful post to be able to talk about the things that you probably didn't want others to know. I probably had a controlling spirit when my youngest daughter was growing up, but I realized that I had to put her in God's hands. He is the Author and Finisher of my life and hers. Oh, I still pray for her. I don't think you ever stop praying for your children. It's just something a Mother should do.

I look forward to reading the rest of your story.
May God bless you and comfort you in your journey with Him,
AliceE.
PS We all need help in some way. I'm so thankful for your friendship and your prayers. We still need them and I will continue to pray for you.
:)

Darlene said...

Great post! I could see myself in so much of this. I really never thought of myself as controlling or needed to be in control. I have been accused by my daughter that I was too controlling. Just thought she was lashing out because she wasn't getting her way. I am going to pray and ponder this and see where it leads me.
Blessings!

Charlotte said...

What a powerful testimony this is. You have described the struggle that so many people have. Deliverance is what this world needs. Thank you for sharing. I am looking forward to the rest of the story.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Musings of A Minister said...

Great story. You write and express yourself in a wonderful way. Most of the time I would not read a post as long as this one. I read yours because it just kept flowing and yours words had meaning. Thanks for posting. (This week I begin another book giveaway. You may be interested in Kristin Armstrong's book, Work in Progress--An Unfinished Woman's Guide To Grace.)

Ginger~~Enchanting Cottage said...

Thank-you so much for sharing your story. I will look forward in reading the rest. I'm sure there are people who will read this and learn from your testimony. Thank-you so much for opening up your heart with us.
Blessings,
Ginger

Saleslady371 said...

My heart sang when I read about the peace that the Lord gave you when you gave up controlling your life. I loved that scripture too. Have a great day.

SmilingSally said...

It is so hard to not worry, but you are right--we are commanded to not worry. Thanks for sharing. Happy Spiritual Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Cannot wait for the rest of your story! Nice to know there are others out there such as yourself that are finding deliverance and hope for us all!
Karyl(Carol)

Leaon Mary said...

WOW... I can't wait to hear more!
I don't want to be a slave to control anymore either. I'ts positively draining.
Have your way Lord!
Holykisses sistah
Lea

Becky said...

Brilliant. Baby steps, baby steps...

Being content is a big step.

Barb said...

Beautiful, vulnerable, God-glorifying honesty! Thank you for sharing what so many of us need to read.

Nicole said...

Awesome post! I thank God for your realness. It touches many!

PS-Thank you for your prayers. It means a lot. I will write an updated post soon.

Love,
Nicole

nomore said...

I am so thankful that we serve a God who sets the captives free!

praising for the victory you shared!

Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,
Thanks for stopping by and checking on me. I am struggling but not giving up even thro sometimes I really want to. Just when I think things are getting better something else happens to shake my house.
My daughter has left home and doesn't want anything to do with me at all. My heart is just broken over it and the things that she said to hurt me on purpose. I am leaning and believing GOD will repair this relationship and bring her back home but the devil just keeps tearing it apart.
Please keep the prayers going for me and for her to hear from GOD and do the things that are pleasing to him.

From the Heart said...

Lorie, Please come to my blog, I have two surprizes for you.
AliceE.

Ruthie said...

What a great testimony.
Thanks for sharing.
hugs.

Maxine said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, Lorie. You're not alone. I wish I could tell you all I had to work through in my life. But we have a gracious Lord, who is longsuffering to usward. Praise His name. You express yourself so beautifully. God bles you in the days ahead--He's already using you mightily from what I can see.

Melly said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, isn't it wonderful how God can use something that held us captive and use it to set others free.

It's lovely to meet you and look forward to reading more of your posts.

Blessings
Melly:)

God Chaser said...

Once again you share in a way that speaks to my heart, Surrender-how I desire to live this in every area of my life- I'm working on still not having to be the one in control of me.

By the way where did you find the hearts- time to change from snow- but couldn't find anything at that sight.

Aiming for a completely surrendered life.
Willnette

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing your heart, sweet Lorie. And thanks for visiting me to say hello. I'm sorry you have been going through so many sorrowful times. Spring is not far away.
Love and Hugs,
Cathy

Debra said...

Lorie, thank you-I do need the reminder for how I am with my precious son. God has been so MERCIFUL with me in that area, though. He's letting me take small steps, and teaching me to let go. It's hard, because it seems like you are going against that strong mothering feeling. I don't want it to turn into 'smothering' though!
Love, Debra

BlueRose said...

Lorie, I love coming to your blog you are so very blessed with writing. Praise the Lord!

Say I have an award for you at my blog for ya to pick up.

Huge Hugs

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

It was of God that I visited your blog today and caught up with posts I've missed. I can't tell you how much this has meant to me! Somehow, God always uses people who are willing to share their lives and turn themselves inside out. It's hard to share the "real" you! I, too, learned that "All that I have is all that I need!" Thank you!!!! Cora

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing your struggles . . . in certain aspects I see how I once was. You are right the essence of freedom is surrender.

Smiles,

Rachel

Rilda said...

What a wonderful heart felt post my sistah Lorie. God is our everything and as manna falls from heaven to thee what a woman with power, love and a sound mind you be. As Joyce Meyers said " I ain't where I want to be but I sure ain't where I use to be." I suppose most can say that as we travel from glory to glory. Love you, rilda *U*