Apr 25, 2009

Seasons Of Life...Summer

Friday Evening Day One...
We may look older and wiser, but to each other..we are all still in junior [high] school.


Friday night at camp we celebrated summer, it was filled with excitement and surprises; we celebrated a wedding as the brides of Christ. The decorations were beautiful and the dinner was delicious. Women came from all the different islands to celebrate the “Seasons of Life” together as sisters in the Lord.

These were our little sisters that joined us for the Friday night fashion show, our future women's ministry one day.

The beautiful Camp grounds became the perfect setting for an amazing weekend, there could be no better place we could have chosen. Beautiful Camp Homeland in Hawaii, pronounced Camp (Ho-me-la- nee) means Heavenly Home in Hawaiian. We were blessed to be ...

Surrounded by beautiful mountains.


Blue skies and palm trees.


White sandy beaches


Beautiful tropical flowers that smell so sweet.

The young women below put on a skit about the seasons of life, their skit was a reflection of their lives first as little children, teenagers, college students, becoming engaged, married, having children, midlife issues of menopause, hot flashes, or worst yet.. power surges [ugh].

If they only they knew, [smiles]… and finally their retirement years. They really did a great job and it was a joy to watch, laugh, as well as reflect.

The next event that evening was the fashion show; there would be different dresses shown that represented the mother of the brides, maid of honors, bride’s maids, flower girls, and guests.

The first model below was hysterically funny. She was introduced as wearing a ball gown ,and out she came with a dress with ORNAMENT BALLS sewn on her dress [ a true ballgown indeed].

She was adorned with a TOILET PLUNGER around her neck that represented a PLUNGING neck line. She also had two drinking glasses on top of her shoes as GLASS SLIPPERS, and finally a TWISTED FRESH BAKERY BUN, representing
her hair in a French twist. {smiles}


I think this is where the Lord scratches his head, and calls for the head lady angel in Heaven , to explain this one to him!

As you can see on the photo on the very top of this post, I modeled a beautiful two-piece Champagne Vintage dress by Spencer Alexis… The skirt had a layered look with darker vintage lace on two of the layers, and on the other layers were hand-sewn twirls with Champagne colored thread and flowers with silver threads

The top had dark Champagne laced sleeves, and Champagne colored glittered sequences and a slit on the side with a seqenced flower with bow. I also wore an old vintage necklace with maching earrings, it was the most beautiful and comfortable dress I had ever worn in my life.


These were all the models, from the very young, to teens, young adults and older women. What fun we had together celebrating the season of summer. My dear sister in the Lord, Joy, blessed me as the new owner of the vintage dress I modeled. Thank you Joy I will forever treasure it, and will wear it once again when my husband and I renew our vows one day soon.

Next we went into the dinning hall to have some fresh fruit and of course what would a gathering of women be without chocolates. Therefore, we had some brownies and refreshments as well. Then it was lights out, but my roommates and I chatted until the wee hours of the morning.

My Thoughts and Reflections…
I am amazed at what women can accomplish together as sisters in Christ, what we can come up with to make a weekend so fun, enjoyable as well as refreshing and healing. I think the Lord just smiles as he looks down upon us from heaven and says… There goes my daughters againI wonder what they will be up to this weekend LOL.

The fru- fru and fluff, and all those silly stuff , yet he also knows we come as women from all walks of life, carrying similar, as well as different burdens, from brokenness, to hopelessness, loneliness, emptiness, and weariness.

Whatever the burden we carry, he knows we will bring it all to him in unity as we draw strength and support from one another. A time I know the Lord waits for, the moment he longs for when women gather in his name.

I have so much more to share about the Seasons of Life Women’s Camp, I know you will be blessed as I work my way through Saturday and share about my workshop “Seasons Of The Soul.”

Written By: Lorie A. Yocum © April 2009


28 comments:

Andrea said...

Absolutely gorgeous photos. God's hand of creating the Earth is one of the most amazing feats. When we chose to reflect on Him and His love it shows in the love we feel and share. Blessings.

Blessings each day said...

You look lovely Lorie and so does your outfit. I still have a friend who now lives on Ewa Beach, Hawaii. My late husband, Mario and I got to visit she and her husband (Larry and Mario were in a men's prayer group together when all of us were in Germany. Both men died "young"... Larry died three months before Mario!!) when they lived at Hilo and it was so awesome.

What a wonderful celebration you had.

blessings always,

marcy

From the Heart said...

It's looks like you had a great time. I'm sure you needed this time to get away from the worries of life and just have fun with friends and worshiping the Father. The pictures are beautiful. I look forward to hearing the "rest of the story". (lol)
AliceE.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I think just the word "Sisters" wraps up everything you have said here!!!! There is nothing better than sharing the seasons of our lives with our sisters! I'm blessed to have grown up with two sisters, one of which lives a stone's throw away from me. To walk through the good times and the hard times with our sisters in Christ is perhaps the most wonderful thing anyone could ever ask for! Believe me, I know!

Cora

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

What a marvelous time you all had in the Lord's presence.
Your dress is amazing & looks so beautiful! What a special treat to receive such a beautiful gift!
Thanks for sharing your special time.
btw.......The ball gown was hilarious!
Luv ya, Sistah

LisaShaw said...

What precious photos! You look beautiful! A great time is had by all! Praise the LORD!

crochet lady said...

Your time together sounds wonderful. I like that idea of coming together, celebrating a wedding as the brides of Christ.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Lorie,
You modeled your gown beautifully. It suits you and would be the perfect dress to renew your vows in. Your photos are wonderful too. Sounds like you had a lovely time in the Lord's presence at your retreat. Hawaii is a beautiful place and must really be like paradise most of the time. My hubby has always wanted to travel there. Thank you for sharing with us. Have a wonderful week.

Blessings,
Sandi

Ballerina Girl said...

You look stunning...
the weekend sounds really nice
I also think your fotos of the flower and seashore are so pretty too!

BG

Cathy said...

That is just a gorgeous picture of you, Lorie! Thank you so much for sharing it. I'm glad you all had so much fun.

Barb said...

You look amazing, and I love your dress. I pray that soon you and your husband will be able to repeat your vows; that's something I hope to do with my own husband some day -- in Hawaii, the same place as our honeymoon. The women's retreat sounded wonderful. There's nothing like celebrating our Lord with the sisters He has placed in our lives. I look forward to hearing more.

Barb said...

PS - I loved the celebration of brides of the Bridegroom. Wow!!

Joy said...

That dress is as pretty as you are. What a fun time you all had. That fashion show looked really funny. Loved that "ball gown".
The setting was beautiful. How blessed you all are to live near such a beautiful surroundings.
Thanks for sharing your fun with us. You all know how to do a retreat up right!

Joy

My Journey to Hope said...

So nice to meet you, too! We share a lot in common. :) Your pictures of beautiful Hawaii make me realize how much I need a vacation! I went to Kawaii on my honeymoon 11 years ago and I would love to return!
-Michelle

Maxine said...

This was fantastic! What wonderful photos and I thought that was you at the start with that lovely dress! And what neat ideas! What fun==Iwould love to attend something like that with girls of all ages. So glad you shared it with us, Lorie. I loved it.

Andrea said...

Hello, Lorie. I have enjoyed my visit with you this evening. Your blog is lovely and very inspiring. Your poetry is so beautiful, so heartfelt, and true.

You live in such an awesome place! Stunning pictures!

May the Lord bless you and keep you and meet your every need. It's so nice to "meet" you.

In Christ's Love,

Andrea

God Chaser said...

Sounds as if there was a lot of fun. You look great in your gift. Thanks for sharing.

Rilda said...

My sistah Lorie....you look absolutely beautiful and what a blessing to wear it again, even some where on a day out; will truly turn heads in a positive way.
I am thrilled for you and all the adventures you are experiencing. Wiser and growing are we ladies in a way to honor our Father. Your post if one of great JOY, may all you needed you receive as you journey on the path to wholeness. WE are blessed beyond measure. Love you, *U*

Joyfulsister said...

Thank you.. From My heart my Sistah's for all your Encouragement, Prayers and most of all your Sisterness. The Lord continues to fill my heart with so much love for all the awesome women he sends into my life. I don't know if an of you know how much you have affected and touched my life in so many ways. Each of you are a treasured jewel that shines brightly into my life.
Thank you for being my sistah's.

Luv Ya Lorie

A Free Spirit Butterfly said...

Lori, you looked absolutely gorgeous and not a day over 18 (smile) I wish I'd been there. And I'm not saying that because of the beautiful view of nature, I'd really like to meet you and be in the presence of your spirit.

Love, peace and blessings
China.

Tammy said...

Great pictures and it looked like a lot of fun!

The "Seasons of Life" sure do go fast but the wisdom I have gained is...PRICELESS.

You look so beautiful in you grown.

Salty said...

That's one pretty outfit! You look beautiful! Looking forward for more about the camp.

Alene said...

Just beautiful. Just beautiful! Love you sistah.

Jennsmere said...

Hey Lorie...I so enjoy hearing about the Camp...the pictures are so nice AND you look absolutely gorgeous!! A beauty in a beautiful dress, with the beauty of Christ shining through!!!

Bless you,
Susan

Tamela's Place said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! beautiful pictures of some beautiful ladies.. I loved your outfit!

Tamela :)

Janet Hopper said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful people! Lorie, you look absolutely beautiful. How blessed and special for you all to be able to do this.

I hope and pray for you also to be headache -free.

Love & Big Hugs to my Hawaii friend.
Janet

Kathi said...

Lorie, You are gorgeous in that pretty dress. What a beautiful group of women and lovely ministry. Kathi

Kay Martin said...

Celebration!!! Jesus was criticized for being a party guy. I honestly believe in this late part of my life I've failed in not celebrating enough. I am committed to the intentional commitment to work in God's Kingdom His way on His unction and to celebrate with my brothers and sisters in Christ as often as possible.

I loved every word, every picture in this post. Do you know how you bless me every time I come here? You are one of God's most significant treasures.