Feb 22, 2009

Bondage Of A Controlling Spirit. ( Part Two )

Isaiah 14:3 “And it shall come to pass in the day that the Lord shall give thee rest from thy sorrow, and from thy fear, and from the hard bondage wherein you were made to serve.”



Before I begin this post I just want to say, that I am so not an expert on self-control, I can only say what helped or worked for me. I can also share my testimony and experience in hopes that opening up myself to you, with the help, strength, and courage, of the Holy Spirit, may encourage you to know that you are not alone.

On my last post, I said that the last fruit of the spirit would have a whole new meaning in my life as a Christian woman; well it did, but not right away. There were many years of struggles still, like a fruit has to mature to be used for it’s purpose, I too had to mature (spiritually) in order to be used for my master’s purpose.

Change never came easy for me; I still needed to hide behind the need to be in control at all times. Now I know control is needed for us to accomplish and get things done in life , but I’m talking about being in control to where it takes over your life. It ends up controlling you and soon you become a slave in bondage to it.

Ecclesiastes 7:8 says, “Better is the end of a thing, than the beginning of it, and the patient in spirit, is better than the proud in spirit. The problem I had, was not being sure if I was ready to end something that was a part of my life for so long. I remember reading a quote that said nothing great was ever done without much enduring, I knew in my heart I needed to end it, I knew it would take patience, and I could not allow pride to get in my way.

I remember trying to figure out where all this need of control was coming from, and why it had such a hold on my life. Was it because I allowed others to control my life, to the point where there was so much hurt, pain, mistrust, and anger. As a child having both parents with controlling issues would leave me so confused , fearful, and walking on eggshells because these are the people you want to please most in life as a child.

There came a time when everything took a toll on me emotionally and mentally. Some of my family members were going through various issues, things happening where there was nothing I could do; it was completely out of my hands and my control. I began to seek help; I did not know how to handle not being in control, I just knew this was something I could not do by myself.

Anxiety set in, depression followed, and I remember my best friend who was a pastor tell me this was something I really needed to surrender to the Lord. In the mean time I went to get help and I was so glad I did, and may I say that I who vowed against any medications, welcomed the help of those prescribed that helped me through such a difficult time in my life.

The Lord was getting ready to do a mighty work in my life, my life would change in a way that I would never have foreseen. God wanted me to be under the control of one spirit, the Holy Spirit. There would be tears, surrendering, forgiving, more tears, more surrendering, healing, and deliverance. I remember how the words to this song ministered to my spirit.

Set my spirit free, so I can worship thee
Set my spirit free, so I can praise your name
Let all bondage go, and let deliverance flow,
Set my spirit free, to worship thee.

To be continued..

Thank you to all who shared their hearts with me on the first post, it is not always easy to admit having controlling issues, much less talk about it. But I believe the Lord does not allow us to go through it, just to keep it to ourselves, but to encourage and give hope to others so they know they are not alone in their journey. I welcome you to share whatever may be on your heart, if you need prayers, your testimony, or a word of encouragement to someone who may read this with a heavy heart.




21 comments:

The Raggedy Girl said...

I loved this post. I too seem to want to be in charge and I know in my heart that God is and I cannot manipulate my life except by surrendering to His Spirit.

May God Bless You This Sunday
from Roberta Anne

Anonymous said...

Lori,

Thank you for sharing your story. I too have struggled with control -of letting others control me. It has caused a lot of pain and rebellion in my life. But as I continue to abide in God and His truth He peels back the layers and sets me free. It is tremendous. The truth does indeed set us free, but as you said it isn't instant. There is a lot of renewing and straighting out in us to do. But we can be confident that He will finish what He has started in us. What a great God! And because I think it is a process, because we learn taste the magnitude of His mercy and love for us and we grow in intimacy with our God through each struggle.

Blessings,

Rachel

From the Heart said...

You never cease to amaze me. You have a very precious gift to be able to write your thoughts down to share with others who may be having the same problem. God bless you for obeying the leading of the Holy Spirit to do this.

I read on another blog that you have not been feeling well. I just offer up a prayer now and ask the Father to touch my sistah and heal her in the name of Jesus. I say to the enemy to take your hands off Lorie right now in the name of Jesus. You have no autority over her, she is covered by the blood of Jesus and you cannot cross that blood line, in the name of Jesus. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow. Jesus said it, I believe it and it is so.
Thank you Father for touching my friend, and my sister in Christ. Amen.
Luv u sistah,
AliceE.

Charlotte said...

Hi Lorie,
We had company for several days so I got behind with my visiting and commenting.
This post and he previous one are so good. It is hard to let go and not try to be in control of every situation. Thank you for this insight.
We would love to have you share this with us on Spiritual Sundays.
Have a great week.
Charlotte

God Chaser said...

Lori, thanks for sharing the steps you took to let go of a controlling spirit. You are right I believe we go through so we can share and help one another. As always you help many with your truth. I learn much from you sister. Blessings

Tamela's Place said...

I too have had control issues in my life, i am sure many have. But what i found was that my control issues stemmed from worry. When i realized that my worrying was the opposite of trusting God. I repented and asked God for His help in this area of my life. It was a major struggle because i was known as the one who was always in control and because of this expectations were placed upon me by others. I had people who were close to me that leaned on me and would convince themeselves that "If anyone could or should fix it it would be me. It came to the point that i was the one who everyone expected to make things better. THIS WAS BAD! because now I am either hated or loved. If i fix it than im loved if i don't than it is my fault and i am the one to blame! Not a good position to be in!

Through much prayer as well as not a few battles the Lord delivered me and brought me through and out of this prison of worry and control!

He set me free! I am so grateful to Him for rescueing me in my time of need! He was very gracious and merciful!

Thank you for sharing and God bless you always :)

The Raggedy Girl said...

Good Morning!

Please stop by my blog and pick up an award from me to you!

Roberta Anne at Little House In The Desert

Nicole said...

My mind is a little boggled right now but I do want to thank you for sharing your story. I know there must be many who can relate and be helped through your life in Christ being set free. I was raised by a mom who liked to be in control and controlled everything I did and thought. I do belive this was out of fear for my well being. So, God has done a great work in me to release me from this bondage, but it has not be short or non-painful. But all worth it to be set free in Christ!!! Since my freedom has come to pass I have started to pray for my mom and the spirit of control to be broke, and that the fear that she is so blinded to will be so evident in her life.

Love you,
Nicole

Debra said...

This is beautiful, Lorie, and I think I don't even know my own heart about this issue yet. I see some of the danger signs that you mentioned though, so I'm sure I have to battle this issue myself. Sometimes it does seem overwhelming-all the junk God wants us to be rid of-but why do we carry it? Habit, insecurity? Fear? Heredity? I make myself sick trying to figure it out, and really-that's not the point. God only wants us to be free in Him. We don't need to analyse ourselves to death!
Anyway-this was wonderful to read-I read both parts, and I'm waiting for the rest! I prayed for you when I read your comment on my blog.
Love and hugs, Debra

LisaShaw said...

Prune us Lord until we look like You.

precious sister you have a way of sharing your heart for the Lord and your desire to please Him in a way that draws us all even closer to Him.

Love you.

HOPE said...

Such a wonderful post Lori. Thank you for praying for the missionary family I have posted on. I have an update and new request if you can stop by.

I'll have to come back and read part I. It is always good to share the good work of the LORD in our lives as others struggle with these same issues. Patience in the work he must do. In time, as always...a GOOD work is accomplished if we finally! yield to HIM!

Praise the LORD for the blessed work in your life as you have shared here.

Hugz..
HOPE

Edie said...

Hi Lorrie! God is sure using you to encourage and bless others with your precious gifts.

I was just over at Sparrowgrass and read that you were battling a lot of fatigue. Just want you to know that I will lift you up for healing and increase energy. I go through battles with fatigue that sometimes keeps me from doing anything. God bless!!

Kay Martin said...

Lorie, I love it when our Lord lays a message simultaneously on our hearts. Yesterday I wrote on maturity and the fruit of the spirit: self control. I also had a mom with psychiatric issues and extreme passive aggressive control needs.

Power struggles are usually at the root of every relationship eruption. Yesterday I counseled someone and after a long time of hearing her talk I felt in prayer that all of the talk could be summed up in these 2 words: power struggle.

When I am tempted to grab control and give in to the controlling spirit tempting me I try to remember that I am crucified/dead; so that Christ lives in me. I pray for God to be in control of my universe in all things. But sometimes this is a real strain.

Thank you for your honesty, holiness and helpfulness. God bless and keep you.

Sharon said...

I missed the first one so I went back to read.. I guess you were talking to me as well. I have been working on this situation as well, and today I sit back alot more than I use too. It was truly hard, at first, it was hardening my heart, until I made the change. And Praise God he is helping me through this. I like myself so much better! It is all about surrendering, heart,soul and mind, Amen!
Thank you for reminding me and I will ponder this for the day!

Wonderful post
Hugsss and Love to you my sister in christ

Cathy said...

Thanks for sharing your heart with us, dear, sweet sister.
Love and Hugs,
Cathy

Deborah said...

Hi Lori! I haven't had much free time lately, so just wanted to stop by and say hello....I've missed visiting!

Shanita Waters said...

Hi Lori.. I've been away for a long time but the Lod allowed me to have some time to visit today for a reason. He wanted me to read your post. I have to find part 1. I can tell from the overflow in part 2 that it was blessed.

I struggled with a controlling spirits as well. Except, I subconsciously sought out those with controlling spirits and enslaved myself. I would go from one relationship (friends, relatives, ministers, etc.) to the next blaming those that I felt kept me bound when it was me that kept entering into these relationships. I had to understand that God needed to be first in my life and I had to please HIM and not myself or the others in my life. In fact, I once was very concerned with image and being accepted. In turn, I would often find myself doing things (or not doing things) to please others when I knew that it was contrary to what God had already told me.

Today, I am stronger and wiser through Jesus and have learned to cast down everything that exhalts itself against the purpose God has for my life including my past approval addiction.

Thanks for sharing. We over come by the blood of the lamb AND the WORDS of our testimony.

Blessings!
Shanita

Gone said...

What a lovely continuation of your first part on this Controlling Spirit.

I, too, have issues on this, in which God is dealing with me. Sometimes, it's just so hard to let go and let HIM!!!

~Blessings,
Jan

ps...I've added you to our Blog Prayer List, dear! We'll be praying for you!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Lorie, What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart. One of my favorite verses is in Proverbs 3: 4,5. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thy own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy path.

I have to remember this each day as I try to make my own decisions, that can only come with prayer for direction and give the control to God. Your post is a nice reminder to listen.

Nice to meet you and thanks again for stopping by. I hope you got my email.
Have a nice day. Celestina Marie

Rose of Sharon said...

Wow, thank you for sharing this. It can be really hard to let go and trust God. I can understand what you are saying. I went through a little of that several years ago and it was hard. I think it started when empty nest set in and I realized that my kids were growing up and going to leave and I couldn't control it. The only thing that helped was leaning on the Lord. I am so thankful that He is so faithful and good!

Hugs, Sharon

Rose of Sharon said...

Thank you for sharing this post. It meant a lot to me. I just left a long comment, but I think it might have gotten lost.

God bless you!

Hugs, Sharon